Gift ideas and useful websites
By Unique’s Family Support Officer, Marion Mitchell.
For those of you (like me) who find it hard to buy gifts for your chromosome/gene cutie, I have created this to help us all find suitable gifts (whether for Christmas, birthday or other event). It’s a list of books, toys, websites, clothing and other items that we’ve heard about or people have said their children like and we’re sharing in case other families would find them useful too. Let me know if you would like to add any suggestions (email firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note: Unique is in no way endorsing the companies listed or any of the products, this is just a list collated from suggestions made by Unique members. Parents should thoroughly check out products for safety before purchasing them.
- Book Trust https://bit.ly/2B9uhVU Based in the UK
- letterboxlibrary.com/acatalog/index.htmlBased in the UK
- offwego.ie/Based in the Republic of Ireland. A book series, titled ‘Off we Go!‘ has been launched to prepare children aged 3-7 and those with learning disabilities for particular events by explaining ‘what comes next’ on an outing. There are six books covering Going to the Dentist, Going to the Doctor, Going to the Restaurant, Going to the Supermarket, Going to the Hairdresser and Going Swimming.
- Feeling Happy, Feeling Safe kidscape.org.uk/Acolour picture book for children under 6 (could be suitable for older children with learning disabilities) – stories about getting lost, saying no, strangers, bullying and more. Available from: Kidscape Helpline: 08451 205 204 . Based in the UK
- Personalised children’s books https://kck.st/2QHrDAf
- The Treehouse at Number 9 books and a musical story App.
Online shops for switch adapted toys
Other items/useful websites
Special needs clothing
- Homemade art work
- Ipad/Iphone, tablet you can buy gift vouchers for apps in many UK shops.
- Portable DVD player
- Musical teddies, like tad the frog, etc
- Bathtub lights on eBay. They float and are color changing! And a few fish you wind up that ‘swim’.
- Colour changing shower head, available from Amazon/ebay
- Bubble tube, available from ebay/amazon, or B&M stores and Argos (UK)
- Torrid starcloths from eBay £60.00
Unique also has a couple of practical guides on the website with regard to larger items like bikes, trikes and outdoor toys. Click Here to read them.